How to Apply?
If you would like to learn more about becoming an SFCASA volunteer, please join us for a 60 minute information sessions.
(Our location has a flight of stairs. If this poses a challenge for you, please let us know so we can schedule a meeting off-site.)
Attending an information session is the first step in the application process.
Winter Training 2015: Begins 1/27/15 with a swearing-in ceremony on 3/12/15
Spring Training 2015: Begins 4/21/15 with a swearing-in ceremony on 6/4/15
Information Sessions for application to Winter and Spring Training Sessions.
- Attend a 60-minute information session
- Fill out the online application here.
- Once we receive your application, we will contact you to schedule a screening interview.
- The interview will take place at the SFCASA office with our Manager of Training & Case Supervision, Bethany, and one of our Case Supervisors.
- After the interview, we will let you know if we are inviting you to join our advocate training program.
- During training we do a complete criminal background check.
- Participation in the training program is not a guarantee that you will be sworn in as a CASA. It is a continuation of our screening process.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Bethany at 415.398.8001 extension 101.
SFCASA holds several training cycles each year. Training takes place in the evening; most sessions are from 6-9pm. Volunteers also attend a Court Panel Presentation and Court Observation at the court house, arrange a community agency visit, and complete an online child abuse mandated reporter training, and an online training on working with transition aged youth.
The training cycle lasts 7 weeks and consists of a total 48 hours. The first 3 and last 3 classes are mandatory. A volunteer is allowed to make up one missed non-mandatory class during the 7 weeks. In order to become a CASA, volunteers must complete all 48 hours of training.
The final class takes place at the court house, where volunteers are officially sworn in as CASAs!