Jump to content
Content starts here
- Check out the SFCASA Blog for More News and Articles related to SFCASA and issues in Foster Care. Help us to spread the word by "liking" or commenting on our blog or Facebook posts or sharing our links with your community.
- LGBT Cultural Competency training.
Mental Health and LGBTQ Advocacy in Child Welfare Symposium
Saturday APRIL 14, 2012 - 9AM – 4:30PM.
- Save the Date! May 16th, 2012 Fostering Care, The 2012 SFCASA Funraising Luncheon
Foster Youth Saved From Losing Educational Support Oakland Local, Tuesday, February 21, 2012
- California's Sussessful Foster Youth Services Program in Jeapordy, Washington Times, February 6, 2012
- Child Abuse Price Tag for US is 124 billion, CDC Reports MSNBC.com Feb 1, 2012
California Judge Guerrero-Daley Discusses Open Courts Fostering Media Connections January 17, 2012
- AB12- New Law Helps Foster Youth After 18 San Jose Mercury News January 19, 2012
- Listen to the Podcast with SFCASA's own Maya Durrett and Former Foster Youth and auther Ashley Rhodes-Courter on Radio Alice.
- Check out the new movie Ask Us Who We Are, a new documentary about Children in Foster Care.
- City foster care rate higher, San Francisco Chronicle
May 3, 2011
- Many Penniless Former Foster Kids Call The Streets Home
, KPBS article and podcast. Amita Sharma, KPBS Reporter
- Changing the foster care system from the inside out Article and podcast by Holly Kernan, KALW.
- State loses appeals on foster-care group-home cuts SF Chronicle
Thursday, April 7, 2011
- Foster Care's Web Of Policies, Problems And Promise Keeps Kids In Waiting Huffington Post, May 3, 2011. Article touches on LGBT and race issues in Foster Care.
- NBC Nightly News Story on the Guardian Scholars Program at S.F. State
Fostering Media Connections, March 31, 2011.
- Brain scientists at the University of Washington will attempt this year to measure the effects of abuse and neglect on the minds of Washington children in foster care. The Seattle Times, April 17, 2011
- March 23, 2011 SFCASA Board of Directors Luncheon celebrates 20 years of SFCASA!. Keynote Speaker Ashley Rhodes-Courter. Award winning journalist Belva Davis is host and emcee of the event.
- 'Kinship Caregivers' Get Less Help Than Foster Parents:
Better services needed to benefit young relatives in their care, researchers say. Businessweek, February 07, 2011.
- How The 'Blind Side' Kid 'Beat The Odds' Listen to the podcast on Talk of the Nation on NPR. February 9, 2011.
- Foster Care Bill Improves Students Chances. Silicon Valley Mercury News.com February 13, 2011
- Monday, February 21s.t KALW's Your Call Radio Show. Guests discuss the current state of foster care in California and where it is going. Guests include former foster youth who talk about the services that helped them to become successful adults: services that may be affected by California's upcoming budget cuts. Listen to the podcast.
- On February 28th, National CASA CEO Michael Piraino responds to the tragedy of the Barahona twins and talks about how CASA works to prevent such tragedies on the Huffington Post.
- Stay connected! Subscribe to the SFCASA e-newsletter!
- On The Edge. Youth who age out of foster care are up against particularly harsh challenges. Tuesday, October 19, 2010 (SF Bay Guardian)
- On the Margins. At Risk youth struggle to get by in a city that's tough on young people. Tuesday, October 19, 2010 (SF Bay Guardian)
- Hot Havana Nights! SFCASA Guild Event Raises $90,000 for children in Foster Care. Thursday, October 14, 2010.
- Here is an article written by our own Judge Chaitin about San Francisco's Children in Foster Care.
Thursday, August 19, 2010 (SF Chronicle) San Francisco foster children need more homes. Ellen Chaitin
- City foster care rate higher. Article discusses San Francisco's high rate of children in Foster Care.
San Francisco Examiner,
August 9, 2010
- When kids 'age out' of foster care, they often have nowhere to go. For Foster Care Teens, Graduation is No Celebration. The Baycitizen.org May 23, 2010
- CASA Volunteer Dee Horn of Fullerton County Georgia shares a story about his volunteer advocacy work at the 2010 National CASA Conference. National CASA Podcast. download
- Foster Care Month Youth Leadership Awards May 21, 2010
San Francisco honors its Foster Youth for Outstanding Leadership
For more information and nomination forms click here. (pdf)
- Red Carpet: Honoring Foster Care Advocate
SF Examiner 4/13/10
- SF Chronicle's Leah Garchick on SFCASA's Board of Director's Luncheon.
- Contact Your US Representative today and ask them to support CASA!
Please contact your US Representative today to request that they join in a letter of support for level funding of $15 million for the CASA program.. Click here for a more information on how you can help.
- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger gives approximately 1,500 current THP-Plus youth their "eviction notices" via the release of his budget proposal for fiscal year 2010-11. Merced Sun-Star February 27, 2010.
- California's New Proposed state budget includes eliminating funding for the Transitional Housing Program for emancipated foster/probation youth (THP-Plus).
Ventura County Reporter,
February 18, 2010
- Financial Aid and Foster Youth. A surprisingly low number of Foster Youth receive all the grants they’re eligible for because they don’t get adequate information about ?nancial aid, and the aid programs themselves present hurdles.
Another roadblock for foster youth
January 2, 2010 by Erica Perez, CaliforniaWatch..org
San Francisco’s System Improvement Plan 2010 for Child Welfare Services. - multi-tiered review and analysis of current practices and a commitment to implementing new evidence based practices and phasing out older initiatives that do not have proven successes in serving foster youth and their families.
Honoring Emancipated Youth.org, February 4, 2010
- Foster care sees increase in cases due to economy.
More youth are going into placement because more families are stressed from the economy
Santa Cruz Sentinel, December 20, 2009
- A Determined Quest to Bring Adoptive Ties to Foster Teenagers
New York Times,
January 30, 2010
- National CASA podcast. This series of interviews provides updates from National CASA, alerts you to legislative action, and shares experiences from program staff.
- Foster youths need access to mental health care, by Zahra Hayat and Patrick Gardner.
Almost one-fifth of California's foster children are placed across county lines, either due to a shortage of local foster or group homes, or because a relative's home has been found in another county. Out-of-county youths routinely face problems getting mental health care, often waiting months or even years for appropriate treatment. Read more:
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 SF Chronicle
- CASA Volunteer featured in AARP Magazine The Magazine featured the story of Thelma Harris, a CASA volunteer from the Fulton County, GA, CASA program.
- SFCASA Volunteers Jeff Perry and John Emami talk about SFCASA on Pirate Cat Radio-Listen to the Podcast
Here is the link for the podcast of our interview on Pirate Cat Radio this weekend. It is a two-hour broadcast, and our interview starts at 53:50. There are a few music breaks over the course of the interview.
Pirat Cat Radio, 5/10/09
- Foster Care in California
Forum on KQED Radio, 88.5 FM,
- Foster Care in Focus
What is life like for foster children? Listen to the interview with SFCASA Case Supervisor Erika Dirkse on Your Call Radio with Rose Aguilar. Kalw 91.7 FM 8/8/08
homesitemap© 2008 San Francisco CASA. All rights reserved.